Trump has definitely made waves since his appointment as president of the United States of America. But instead of just jumping on the bandwagon, here are all the facts you need to know in order to make an informed decision about the man:
Full Name: Donald John Trump
Date of Birth: June 14th, 1946
Place of Birth: Jamaica, Queens, New York
Nicknames: The Donald, The Don
Newly-elected president of the United States Donald J. Trump just took over the presidential seat from Barack Obama, and he’s continuing to do what he’s always done best: Making waves and causing controversy. But just how much do you know about the new man behind the curtain? Here are some fast facts about Trump…
- Donald took over the family business (Elizabeth Trump & Son) in 1971 while still a student in Pennsylvania and renamed it to The Trump Organization.
- Many businesses worldwide now carry the Trump name thanks to The Trump Organization. These include The Trump Tower in Manhattan, several Trump Hotels, luxury golf courses and the Trump Winery.
- Trump’s businesses have been declared bankrupt six times. Trump himself marked it off as a simple business move: “I’ve used the laws of this country to pare debt… We’ll have the company. We’ll throw it into a chapter. We’ll negotiate with the banks. We’ll make a fantastic deal. You know, it’s like on The Apprentice. It’s not personal. It’s just business.”
- Trump attended New York Military Academy, Fordham University and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
- His parents were Frederick Trump, a real-estate developer, and Mary-Anne MacLeod Trump, a domestic worker. Despite Trump’s critical views of immigrants, his mother immigrated to the US from Scotland.
- Trump has four siblings: Maryanne, Fred Jr., Elizabeth and Robert.
- He was elected to the 45th president of the United States in November 2016, beating Democratic candidate (and former first-lady) Hillary Clinton.
- Trump has made several film and TV appearances, including in Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, The Associate, Zoolander, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air – even some commercials for Pizza Hut and McDonald’s!
- Trump was also the star of his own TV show, The Apprentice, until 2015. According to his campaign manager, he was paid $213, 606, 575 in total for his participation in the show, which got him two Emmy nominations.
- At age 70, he is the oldest president to assume office; the previous was President Ronald Reagan, who was elected at 69 in 1981.
- There’s a Trump-branded board game called, of course, Trump: The Game.
- According to Forbes in 2016, Trump is the 113th richest person in the United States, and the 324th worldwide!
Just what is he thinking, politically? Take a look at some of Trump’s policies as president here…
- Education: Trump’s policies involve investing $20 billion into education, allowing children a broader choice of schools and making formal education (including technical professions) easier to access.
- Immigration: Trump has been very critical of immigration, and his policies include building a wall between the US and Mexico to stop border entry, ending birthright citizenship, forcing companies to hire American workers first and to stop immigration of Muslims to the US.
- Healthcare: Trump’s healthcare policies include cutting funding to Planned Parenthood and completely scrapping the Obamacare plan in favour of Health Savings Accounts. In addition, he wants to increase funding for conditions such as PTSD and suicide prevention.
- Foreign Policy: Trump has also stated wanting to increase the size of the US Army and to up US military presence in the China Seas. His policies also include crackdowns on cybercrime, immigration laws and what he considers radical Islam related to ISIS.
Will Trump’s change be good for the US or not?
Social Media: The Prez Sez
Want to know what he’s thinking? Check out the President’s social media accounts here…
Find Donald J. Trump on Twitter at @realDonaldTrump.
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/donaldtrump
By: Alex J. Coyne