Rozes first made headlines alongside The Chainsmokers with their banger track, Roses. Since then, she has continued to grow as an artist and has released a number of tracks of her own. Rozes released her first EP titled Burn Wild, last year (2016). The singer, songwriter signed with Photo Finish Records this year and has released two singles with them: Canyons and Famous. Teenzone had the incredible opportunity of talking to Rozes while she was on tour:
1. How did you come about assuming the stage name Rozes?
My grandmother’s name is Rose. She’s always been my biggest idol and inspiration. She taught me how to survive as a woman without needing anyone else’s help. I feel I owe it to her to carry on the things she’s taught me. My name, ROZES, is my tribute to her.
2. How has your childhood and roots influenced the music you make today?
Of course! I grew up in a home where I was able to be myself, I could express my emotions without being told to “suck it up.” I portray this in every song I write. I am upfront and (sometimes brutally) honest. My family loved jazz and Motown. It was all we would listen to, and I think it heavily influences my writing.
3. Your first chart-entry was with none other than The Chainsmokers. Was it a coincidence that the track was titled Roses?
After we wrote the song in Drew’s apartment in New York, the song file was named “Roses” and it just never changed!
4. Did your collaboration with them open up doors for you in the industry?
It was a really amazing entry into the industry because it gave me some form of ‘credentials’ in an industry that’s so hard to break into. Since “Roses,” I have been the busiest I have ever been, and now I’m even busier than that! I’ve been working with some of my favorite producers and idols, as well as writing for other artists in the industry, which has always been a dream of mine. My career as ROZES has grown immensely, as well as my fanbase and creative experience.
5. ‘Canyons’ proves that you’re not just a feature on a track. How important was it for you to communicate that?
Honestly this is actually one of the biggest personal struggles for me. I become frustrated when I hear people say “oh wow I didn’t know you wrote ‘that’ track too, I thought you just sang on it.” I pour my heart, soul, and secrets into every song I write, it’s imperative that listeners know I’m not just the ‘feature girl’.
6. NYLON has called ‘Canyons’ Summer 2017’s ‘atmospheric electronic bop’. Do you think this statement adequately sums up the track?
I think that’s a perfect description!
7. What would you say is the core message behind the track?
I wrote this at a time where I was in a disagreement with someone that I love dearly. I wanted the message in the end to be that we don’t always have to have the same opinions in order to be compatible. Having your own thoughts and opinions is really the only way to maintain a healthy relationship of any kind.
8. You’re touring alongside YouTube/Actor/Singer MAX on his 30-city US Fall tour. How do you go about preparing for a tour?
I don’t know that there is a way to prepare for a tour this long. I packed almost my whole life in a suitcase, which I regret because now I can’t remember what I even packed, haha! I think the most important thing in preparation for tour as a vocalist is vocal care. I have my teas, heat packs, throat lozenges, and forms of hydration to keep me healthy.
9. What do you hope to gain from the tour?
While I’m super excited to gain new listeners and fans, I’m also excited to be gaining more confidence on stage. We’re playing shows almost every night, so it gives us the opportunity to figure out what works best for me and my band in a performance.
10. Do you have any big collaborations coming up that you can tell us about?
I have a lot coming up that I can’t share just yet! I wish I could! But I can tell you that 2018 is going to be a great year, and I cannot wait for you to hear what I’ve been working on!