- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion (150 g), finely diced
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 453 g carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 34 g unbleached all-purpose flour
- optional: 120 ml dry white wine (or sub more vegetable broth)
- 720 ml vegetable broth
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 425 g can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 204 g unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 140 g cold vegan butter (or sub room temperature coconut oil*)
- 60-105 ml cold water
- Preheat the oven to 204 C and arrange 6 ramekins on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Put the oil and the onion in a large pot, setting the temperature of the stove at medium heat. Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Sauté until soft and translucent – 4-5 minutes.
- Add carrots and season the mixture with another pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add flour and stir well to thoroughly coat.
- Cook for 1 minute, then slowly add white wine (optional) followed by vegetable broth, whisking to prevent clumps.
- Add the thyme and the white beans and bring the mixture to a simmer. Then lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes. Cover and remove the pot from the heat while preparing the crust.
- To prepare the pie crust, add flour and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Next add vegan butter (or coconut oil) and use a pastry cutter (or fork) to cut the two together, until it resembles wet sand – about 30-45 seconds.
- Add ice cold water, 1 tbsp at a time and use a wooden spoon to gently mix. Add only as much water as needed to help it to form dough. Remember that you can always add more water but you can’t take water out.
- Use your hands to gently knead/form the dough in the bowl and gather any loose scraps. Then transfer it directly to a well-floured surface and form the dough into a disc with your hands.
- Lightly flour the top of the dough. Use a rolling pin to gently roll out the dough until it is about 1cm thick. Add more flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking to the surface you are working on.
- Use a pizza cutter or a knife to cut 6 large squares, slightly larger than the size of your ramekins.
- At this time, scoop the white bean filling into the ramekins until almost entirely full.
- Use a lightly floured spatula to scoop each pie crust square onto a ramekin. Repeat until all ramekins are covered. Use a knife or toothpick to create small holes in the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pot pies for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the pie crust is golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.