Desmond John has released his first international track ‘Untradable’, produced by Grammy-Award winner Kuk Harrell. Kuk has worked with the likes of Rihanna, Justin Bieber AND Beyonce. Desmond John was experimenting with a friend in Johannesburg when he was overheard by an American visitor who consequently invited him out to Atlanta. And the rest is history! Read below to find out what all you need to know about this talented artist:
- What sets you apart from every other young teen musician that is currently in the music industry?
A: Well I’ve been lucky enough to grow up on 3 different continents and this has given me a globalized outlook on the world, which I can portray through my sound.
Also, I’ve been privileged to be mentored by some brilliant and accomplished people in the music industry, which has given me an edge on my knowledge of music and on this industry.
- How important is it for a musician to have a good relationship with his/ her fans? How does that affect the musician’s career?
A: I think it’s vital. Without fans you don’t have a career.
- Do you believe in the power of digital media? In-terms of social media platforms. How does it influence an artist’s career? How have you used the digital space to heighten your career?
A: Social media is the way, in this day and age. I use social media to engage with my followers and take them on this journey with me. I try to give them a personalized experience, and also feed them with constant content 🙂 I’m personally involved in my social media.
- Can you tell us more about your single ‘Untradable’, what inspired this song?
A: I wanted my first single to be an uptempo, energetic and fun dance track. Something for the youth, or anyone looking to have a good time really.
- You have mentioned that you draw your inspiration from artists such as; Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars, Babyface, Justin Timberlake, why specifically those musicians?
A: Well those are some of the greats of our time. They’re all full package entertainers and that’s what I aspire to be.
- If you had to collaborate with a South African artist, who would you choose and why?
A: I’d have to say AKA. I really like his sound and everything he’s done for South African music. He’s a real pioneer and he’s paving the way for so many other up and coming South African artists.
- How did it feel to have your song produced by a Grammy award-winner, Kuk Harrell?
A: Well it’s all been an overwhelming experience so far. I’m so grateful that he’s believing in this project the way we are. I’ve also learnt so much from him.
- Where do you see yourself musically in the next five years?
A: Well I’m reaching for the stars! I want the Grammy on my shelf in five years time!
- Why should teens/young people listen to your songs? What message do you try to send across in your music?
A: Well I’ve only released one official song so far, but I definitely try and send out positivity, I also just speak about real life, things that people my age can relate to.
- How would you describe your own personal sound?
A: If I had to level it, it would probably be Pop/R&B. I don’t have a specific sound – I like to experiment with a whole lot of different stuff, (throwing in some rap from time to time for example). If it sounds good and I believe that people can vibe off it, it’s a go.
See ‘Untradable’: https://soundcloud.com/desmondjohn
By: Nomsa Motale