Breakouts are generally part-genetic, part-hormonal or both. But unlike adult breakouts, which tend to be inflammatory and related to stress, young adult breakouts are usually triggered by puberty.
Why are they such a big deal?
Breakouts are completely normal, but they can affect our appearance and therefore our confidence levels. This is no fun. The good news? The hormones that cause them will eventually stabilise, lessening the frequency and severity of your breakouts as you grow older.
How should I treat breakouts?
Your key focus should be to unclog pores, minimise breakout-causing bacteria and control oil. You can achieve this through cleansing, toning and moisturising day and night, as well as incorporating products that work to reduce clogged pores, kill bacteria, control excess sebum and reduce inflammation.
Not sure what products are best suited to your skin?
Book a FREE Face Mapping skin analysis with Dermalogica to find out. From this you will receive a personalised skin fitness plan.
Visit Dermalogica.co.za to find your nearest skin care centre or concept store.
Other skin habits:
- Avoid comedogenic (pore-clogging) ingredients, which can worsen breakouts.
- Drink more water to help flush out toxins, carry nutrients through the body and improve blood circulation.
- Keep sensitive skin in check with soothing, cooling ingredients and soap-free cleansers such as Clear Start Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash.
- Avoid using fabric softener sheets, which are made of animal fat (namely beef lard), not to mention artificial fragrance. This comedogenic coating can get on pillowcases, irritate skin and clog pores.
- Don’t cleanse with very hot water, harsh soap, vigorous scrubbing movements or rough loofahs and brushes. It will only make breakouts worse.
- Go for a skin treatment with a Dermalogica professional skin expert. All Dermalogica skin treatments are personalised to your skin type and can be designed to solve emergency issues on the spot.
Establishing good habits and an effective skin care regimen can help you to achieve a lifetime of clear, healthy skin.
About Dermalogica Clear Start
Clear Start is created by Dermalogica, the #1 professional skin care brand worldwide, to treat younger, breakout-prone skin. Clear Start is a system of powerful, technology-driven formulas that deliver fast-acting, multitasking results.
Formulated without artificial fragrances or colours, Clear Start combines the best of science with nature to fight breakouts without stripping the skin. Every product contains active breakout-fighting ingredients and soothing natural botanicals that helps keep skin clear, hydrated and balanced.
Clear Start products are available in select skin treatment centres upon recommendation from a qualified professional Skin Therapist, at Dermalogica concept stores around South Africa and online at Dermalogica.co.za.